Perspective 2: Animal Rights Activist
Character Profile
- Name: Emily Carter
- Occupation: Animal Rights Campaigner
- Volunteer for an animal welfare organization
- Opposes animal testing
First-Person Perspective
I am an animal rights activist, and I strongly oppose animal testing. I believe that animals are living beings capable of feeling pain, fear, and distress. Because they cannot give consent, it is morally wrong to use them in experiments for human benefit.
Many animal experiments cause suffering, confinement, and death. Furthermore, results obtained from animals do not always accurately predict how humans will react to a drug or treatment. Advances in technology now offer alternatives such as computer modeling, organ-on-a-chip systems, and human cell cultures.
In my opinion, scientific progress should not come at the expense of animal welfare. We should invest more resources in developing and improving non-animal research methods. Ethical science should protect both human and animal life.
Sources
- PETA. (n.d.). Animal Testing. https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-experimentation/
- Humane Society International. (n.d.). Animal Testing. https://www.hsi.org/issues/animal-testing/
I really enjoyed reading this perspective because it clearly explained why many people oppose animal testing from an ethical point of view. I especially liked how you introduced modern alternatives such as computer modeling and organ-on-a-chip technology, since these are important developments that many people may not know about.
ReplyDeleteOne suggestion would be to include a specific example of a successful non-animal testing method that has already been used in scientific research. This would strengthen your argument and show readers that these alternatives are becoming more practical.
Overall, your post was thoughtful and well organized. It reminded me that scientific progress should always be balanced with ethical responsibility, and that finding better alternatives could benefit both humans and animals in the future.
Your blog made me think about the ethical side of animal testing. I understand why many people believe that animals should not be used in experiments, especially because they can feel pain and cannot choose whether to take part. You explained this idea in a simple and clear way.
ReplyDeleteAnother point that caught my attention was the use of new research methods. I did not know that scientists can now use technologies like organ-on-a-chip systems and human cell cultures. It is good to see that science is finding new ways to reduce the use of animals.
I think you could include some examples of medicines or treatments that were developed without animal testing. I think real examples would make your argument even stronger.